Essay series and Nordic Seminar in collaboration with e-flux Architecture
Over the next year, OAT and the online arts journal e-flux Architecture is presenting a series of essays within the context of the OAT 2019 theme, the architecture of degrowth.
The series is titled “Overgrowth”, and will explore the challenge of growth-based cities and test bold alternatives for the architecture of a new cultural economy. What can architecture be when buildings are no longer instruments of financial accumulation? What kinds of spaces are built for cultivation, rather than extraction? What materials and technologies will be used when we can no longer afford value engineering? How will the architect of tomorrow will play a meaningful civic role in the creation of new building types, urban morphologies, social habits, and cultural practices? How will cities be formed when it is human and ecological flourishing that matter most?
“Overgrowth” is featuring contributions by Ingerid Helsing Almaas, Peter Buchanan, Ana Maria Durán Calisto, Aileen Aseron Espíritu, Catharina Gabrielsson, Indy Johar, Ateya Khorakiwala, Penny Koutrolikou, Helena Mattsson, Joar Nango, Edgar Pieterse, David Pinder, Anna Puigjaner, Matthias Schuler, Territorial Agency, Anja Thierfelder, Angelos Varvarousis, and more. The first batch of essays will be discussed in a Nordic workshop in Oslo in 7th February 2019.
Find the e-flux essay series here.
23. oktober: Angelos Varvarousis og Penny Koutrolikou, "Degrowth and the City"
25. oktober: Helena Mattson og Catharina Gabrielson, "Pockets and Folds"
27. oktober: Peter Buchanan, "Reweaving Webs of Relationships"
21. november: Ingerid Helsing Almaas, "No app for that"
23. november: Edgar Pieterse, "Incorporation and Expulsion"
25. november: Ateya Khorakiwala, "Architecture's Scaffolds"